Among the different email services that have been around, Hotmail is one of the oldest. It was launched at a time when web-based email services were a novelty. At such a time people were dependent on email through their ISPs. They had to pay for the service. When Hotmail was introduced, it was a concept that was revolutionary. It aimed to help remove the shackles of having to log through the ISP provided email service. One could simply open a web browser, type in the Hotmail domain address and be able to access their emails. It allowed people to access email from anywhere in the world, as long as they had access to internet connection and a computer.
There have been several changes that Hotmail domain has undergone over the years:
- Hotmail was bought by Microsoft soon after it was launched as a free web-based service.
- It was made a part of an MSN portfolio of services that Microsoft offered its different users.
- One could access Hotmail separately or through MSN domain.
- Both platforms were integrated into the live platform which was part of an initiative launched by Microsoft in the new millennium.
- This integration effort was further enhanced when Hotmail and MSN and other email based services of Microsoft were incorporated as part of the new Outlook platform.
These were some of the changes that have come about with Hotmail domain over the years. Those who have held accounts in Hotmail continue to access the same even though domain platforms might have changed. With the new Outlook mail interface, there have been introduced several changes in Hotmail inbox as well:
- The inbox has a modern, uncluttered look that appeals to most users.
- Existing emails can be organized in different folders easily.
- With the one sweep feature, you are able to organize e-mails of a certain category in a specific folder.
- You will be able to organize social media accounts with your email account. This allows you to find updates on new posts and happenings in the different social media platforms where you have accounts.
- Find extra storage space due to the integration of OneDrive with the new Hotmail service. You will gain cloud access for storage that can help you store local computer files as well as important communication and other media files as well. This frees you from the shackles of local drives and data in your computer.
- If you have the Xbox or Skype accounts, these can be linked to your Hotmail account. You can access these accounts with the single login feature of Outlook using your Hotmail email address.
- MS Office tools are made available for the new Hotmail inbox. That allows easy editing of files and spreadsheets that can be attached and sent to your inbox.
These are some of the several benefits you will find with the new email interface of Hotmail. These are definitely ample reasons to stay connected to your Hotmail inbox all the time through desktop, laptop, and mobile devices.
Among all webmail services Hotmail can be considered a pioneer. It was launched as a web-based service when such email services were a novelty. People till then used ISP subscription based services for email purposes. Microsoft then bought off Hotmail and made it one of the arrays of services that it offers. It has undergone a series of integration that has been done by Microsoft as it has consolidated its different domains and brought everything under a unified platform of Outlook.
For those who are new to Outlook and are looking to create a new account in Hotmail, they need to understand the following points:
- Microsoft has integrated the different services like Hotmail, MSN, Live and others under the Outlook web-based email service.
- It is an email service that has been removed from the desktop version and made a new platform where all Microsoft users can gain access to their respective accounts.
- If you are an existing Hotmail user or a new one, you need to login or create an account through the Outlook domain.
Once these details become clear, it is easy to proceed to the steps of creating an account on Hotmail. Till now the option of an alias email address in Hotmail is being offered but that is a limited time offer. However, for those who are existing users of Hotmail they will be able to continue to use a Hotmail email address to log into their accounts through Outlook.
The process of creating an account in Hotmail is as follows:
- Log onto outlook.com domain or Hotmail.com domain. The latter gets redirected to Outlook automatically.
- Here you will find the login panel. The link to sign up for a new account is provided here.
- Click on the same to get to the new account formation form.
- Fill in the details like username, password, first name, last name, gender, location and other particulars required.
- It is necessary to choose a username among the options available. The password needs to be of eight characters and a mix of alphanumeric characters.
- You need to provide an alternate email address whereby you can get a reset link in case you need to recover the password.
- It is also necessary to choose a security question and provide an answer to the same. You would need to provide a registered phone number in order to activate the two-step login verification feature.
- Once these details are provided your account is ready and signing up is complete. You need to enter the captcha code as is provided.
- Once you agree to the terms and conditions you will be able to proceed to the new inbox.
There are several new features offered in the new Hotmail account. You will find a modern web-mail interface. Here you will be able to organize the emails in a better manner. Your account gets linked to the social media accounts you hold and it is easy to stay updated with posts and other news and happenings.
Today it is not enough to only have access to your email account on a desktop computer or a laptop. We need access to our email accounts 24/7. That has also been made possible by the smart phone apps and data connectivity that is available on mobile devices no matter where you are. If you are stuck in traffic on the way to work or traveling outside for work, you need to stay connected with your official email account. Your personal e-mails give you joy and allow you to stay connected with loved ones no matter where you are.
For these reasons downloading the Hotmail app is a necessity these days. It is easily found in the following ways:
- The app of Hotmail or Outlook is offered on the different mobile platforms like Android, iOS, Windows and others.
- Find the app and download the same for free on the smart phone or tablet of your choice.
- Stay connected to one or more email accounts you might have on Hotmail.
- Be able to send, receive and organize emails on the go.
The above reasons are some of the compelling ones for which most Hotmail users are looking to use Hotmail app. There do arise some confusions, however, as there is more than one official app for accessing your Hotmail account. Here are some tips to follow in that case:
- Find the list of free apps that provide you Hotmail access.
- Check out the official Microsoft Outlook app which will provide you Hotmail access.
- It is preferable to download the official app or any app that has high ratings and reviews from users.
The above steps will help you decide on the right app to download on your phone. You need to visit the official app marketplace on your phone or tablet before you download the app. Once the app is downloaded here are some steps to follow to get it working:
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, you will be prompted for username and password.
- Enter the same details as you use for your Hotmail account.
- Once the account credentials are, provided you will be able to synchronize your Hotmail account on your phone or tablet.
- The interface of the inbox might look different from what you find on the desktop. However, you will be able to organize and send or receive emails in the same way as you do from the desktop version.
You could toggle the notification settings as per your preference. You could keep on a sound for notification as and when you receive a new message. You could also change the setting as to the frequency at which you would receive the emails. Once these changes are done, you can sit back and get updates on new messages, check them, reply to them, delete or organize them in the same way as you would on your desktop. It is recommended that you update the app as required and ensure that the login is secured with access.
Today you need not stay bound to email account access on desktops or laptops alone. There are different ways of staying connected to your email on the go. This is mainly possible as there are mobile apps available for the different devices. No matter what kind of smart phone or tablet, you own, you can download the right app for Hotmail on your mobile device in order to stay connected on the go.
There are several benefits to avail of when you access your email through the Hotmail app:
- You can recover notifications as and when new emails arrive in your inbox.
- You can send an important communication through your email inbox on your phone or tablet without waiting to get back to your desktop.
- Get updates on social media accounts that are linked to your Hotmail inbox.
These and many more functions of the Hotmail inbox become available to you when you are using the mobile app for the same. There are different functions which you can access by using a Hotmail app on your phone or tablet. If you have an Android device here are the steps to be followed for downloading the Hotmail app:
- Log onto Google Play store. This is the official marketplace for Android apps on the Android phones and tablets.
- You can find Hotmail app that is available for free.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and then start the download.
- Once the app is downloaded, it will automatically get installed.
- Once the installation is complete, you can proceed to set up your account and access the same through the app.
For those who own Apple devices, there is a similar easy procedure to get a Hotmail app on your phone or tablet:
- Log on to iTunes, which is the official store for all iPhones and iPad apps on your device.
- Here you will find the Hotmail app listed for free download.
- Select a trusted source for downloading the app.
- Once you have selected the app and downloaded the same, it will get installed within seconds, depending on your internet connection.
- Once the app is downloaded and installed, you will be able to use the same on your phone or tablet.
These are easy ways to get your Hotmail account set up for use on your mobile device. If you own a Windows phone or tablet there are similar ways of getting the app on your device:
- Log onto Windows official store for apps.
- Here to search for Hotmail app.
- It will be made available for free download.
- Click on the download button and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the download is complete the installation will be done automatically.
This will ensure that the app is set up for use on your device. You can then proceed to enter your account details and allow the app to synchronize your inbox and other settings as found in the Hotmail account interface. The mobile app has convenient features that make it possible for one to stay updated about their emails and be able to send communication as and when required.
Just like any other email account, if you own an account on the Hotmail domain you will be able to access your emails anywhere from a computer that offers an internet connection. However, there might be certain problems faced when logging into one’s account. These problems are common, such as:
- You might have forgotten your username.
- The password entered might be wrong.
- Several retries lock you out of the account.
- You are unable to find Hotmail domain.
The above problems are some common ones that are faced by most Hotmail users. Indeed, Hotmail has been around from the late nineties. Those who have enrolled with Hotmail when it was launched new they will know the email service to be a pioneering one. At that time email was a concept and a service that was restricted to ISP-based internet services. It was a paid service that only a small segment of people used. However, Hotmail introduced the concept of web based email and freed people from the shackles of having to pay to use email.
Hotmail has undergone several changes since it was bought off by Microsoft. The latest integration effort of Microsoft has unified the domain of Hotmail with Outlook. Hence, if you are unsure of how to find the Hotmail domain you can do the following:
- Type in Hotmail.com in your web browser. You are likely to be redirected to Outlook domain.
- You might get a message asking you to log in through Outlook domain.
The other problems that are faced for logging into Hotmail can be solved in the following ways:
- When you come to the login panel of Hotmail on Outlook page, you need to type in the full email address instead of the username as you did with Hotmail before.
- If you have forgotten your username or Hotmail email address you need to click on the link that will help you recover the same.
- You will be prompted to enter the alternate email address you had provided at the time of creating the account.
- You might be asked to key in the password you have associated with the account.
The above steps are standard procedure to recover your Hotmail account information. In addition, there are more steps provided when you have a problem logging into your Hotmail account. For instance, if you have provided a registered phone number, a security code will be sent as a text message to the phone number registered. You need to key in this code to get a reset link to your account.
For the above problems, Outlook has a new solution. If you often forget your password opt to bypass the same. This can be done by activating the one-step access feature. You will be sent a security code to the registered phone number and that will enable you to enter your account without having to key in the password every time. It definitely beats remembering the right password and sequence of letters or alphanumeric characters in the right form and case.
Hotmail is an email service that has been around for long. It has offered basic email features at a time when a free web-based email service was a novelty. It was introduced during the late nineties. This was at a time when it was a new concept to log onto the internet and find a free web-based email service. Most email users were used for logging into email accounts that were provided by their ISPs. These accounts were linked to paid subscription services.
With Hotmail introduced many people began to realize the benefits of a web-based email service:
- It offered them access to an email service that was easy to locate through a web browser.
- All one had to do was to sign up for a free account by providing basic personal information.
- Choosing a unique username and password allowed users to gain access to an email account.
- They could send and receive e-mails through their Hotmail email account on any computer that had an internet connection.
There were several basic features and functions that were part of the Hotmail email service from the very beginning:
- Adequate storage space for receiving and sending emails through one’s account.
- The ease of deleting emails those were read or unwanted.
- Sorting through emails was possible with a search option.
- It was possible to organize the basic folders like inbox, outbox, trash and draft.
- Timing one’s emails, flagging similar emails and removing spam messages was possible in the early versions of Hotmail.
These were some of the basic features made available to Hotmail account users from the very beginning. After it was bought off by Microsoft, there were several changes made, especially in helping users to avoid spam messages and hacking attacks to their account. Microsoft made Hotmail part of MSN service. After some time, both MSN and Hotmail domains were made part of the live platform. Today Outlook is the new web-based email service that integrates all existing Hotmail accounts.
With the new email interface, there have been introduced several changes in the Hotmail inbox:
- You need to use your Hotmail email address when accessing your Hotmail account through Outlook.
- Once you have logged in, you will find the inbox having a clean, modern, uncluttered look.
- It is possible to segregate and organize emails easily in different folders.
- You will be able to segregate spam and allow Hotmail to recognize the same.
- Social media accounts easily integrate with your Hotmail account.
- Use MS Office tools in order to edit documents and spreadsheets as well as PowerPoint presentations and send them as attachments with your emails.
- OneDrive is the cloud service that is offered with all Outlook and Hotmail accounts for extra storage space and greater access to different files that you need for personal or professional work.
- Access Xbox, Skype, and other accounts through the same Hotmail account and login details.
- Add on two-step verification feature in order to secure your Hotmail account.
These are some of the several new features and functions that are made available through the new Outlook service that benefits Hotmail account holders as well.